Thursday 26 November 2009

SYCAMORE TABLE AND BENCHES.

Our new sycamore table with two benches has vastly improved seated activities at Prick Your Finger. Me and my Dad made them from a tree which blew down about 10 years ago. Dad had it planked up, and it has been seasoning in his shed ever since.
It's my first woodwork project where the wood didn't come from a skip or street corner. Dad has an electric planing machine and a circular saw, which made things easier, faster and yes, straighter!
The table is two dinner plates wide and fixed with pegs, so we can dismantle it for parties. I carved the little finger marks in homage to Stanley Davis.
I had a hunch that we would work more productively if we ate soup, altogether, in rows on benches. We have found chicken stock most beneficial to our health, and the conversations are much more enlightened.

Our classes are also held around this beautiful piece of wood, and they are £30/ 2hrs for beginners and £40/2hrs for a private lesson. Much as we'd like to offer you a bowl of soup, it's probably best if we don't.

2 comments:

mycuriousteaparty said...

Such a beautiful and practical table, I love it's simplicity.

I'm sure it will be in your family for many generations to come. You must some how write its history together with photographs to be passed on with this amazing work of art, together with a proviso (I think thats the word) that who ever inherits the table has to continue with its story.

Prick Your Finger said...

Thanks for your comment! I had thought that I'd like everyone who exhibits at PYF to carve their name on the underside. I might start that this weekend with the Japanese girls we are currently showing.